Handmade With Love. Cozy up. Spread The Word.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Multi Cotton Goodness

My apologies for the delay on this post!!  I hope you all have been keeping well. xx.

So, let's get right to it!

There have been such an increase in projects this month, I am so excited!  As promised, I will show you the housewarming presents I knitted up for my friends Myles & Jamie who are just moving into their new place in Kitsilano.

When I started, I had no idea what type of pattern I wanted to do the cloth in.  I looked up a bunch of patterns & here are some that you might want to try!  They're pretty easy & seem pretty durable.  

I prefer to make these cloths out of cotton material though..  I would recommend a medium colour (either mixed or solid) - white is just too easy to dirty & too dark.. well you can't exactly tell how dirty it is..

The best part about these patterns is that they're all free!

Ravelry - Pigeon Pair Wash Cloth                (still want to try this one)
Ravelry - Corrugated Cloth                         (love the simplicity)
Ravelry - Spa Day Face Cloth                     (pretty traditional)
Ravelry - Double Bump Dish Cloth              (seems the bumps would help!)
Ravelry - 3 Easy Dish Cloths                       (very basic, perfect for beginners)

If you crochet, this one looks great too - Ravelry - Crochet Dish Cloth

Lastly, I found this pretty funny - Ravelry - "Knit Now.. Dishes Later" Dish Cloth    ($2 pattern)

Blue Sky Alpacas - Multi Cotton in Gherkin

I ended knitting up a dishcloth with a custom heart pattern with 4 matching coaster set in the Blue Sky Alpacas Multi Cotton in Gherkin (100% organic cotton).  I'm also a big fan of this yarn in the Marmalade, Gunflint and Punch colours for dish cloths.  

I'm so happy I scrapped the first cloth I made... I'll show you.


It was just so plain..... time to unravel!!

Hence, I just decided to CO an unknown amount - I think it was about 30 or so.. and I started knitting my own pattern!



In the midst of Heart Dish Clothing..



The edges are more structured so that it won't be too floppy - there is a sort of rib effect it in.  At first, I had decided to just do some plain flat knitting in the centre square.  But as you can see, I spontaneously patterned out a heart in garter stitch.  It's kind of hard to see with the blend of colours, but it's there!


Customized Heart Patterned Dish Cloth

The coasters follow the same pattern and I believe I CO 23 stitches.  It is just the basic RS: knit all, WS: purl all, in addition to the border pattern.  I knitted for about 20 rows before I BO.  I should really write down these patterns as I'm going.....


Set of 4 Customized Matching Coasters
I wish that photo wasn't so yellow...

Completed Customized Heart Pattern Dish Cloth

I hope you enjoyed this post & best of luck with the dish clothing - I must say, they're rather fun!  Definitely going to buy more cotton later for more!

Happy Humpday! xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment